The CSSP meets twice each year in Washington, D.C., in the spring and late fall. At these meetings, the Council:
- Exchanges ideas and information and engages in spirited discussion with peer scientific society leaders about future action, priorities, and public policy concerns of member societies;
- Engages in lively dialogue with invited speakers from government, academe, and industry on timely issues;
- Hosts forums in the nation’s Capitol to analyze science policy with members of Congress, committee staff, and Executive Branch officials;
- Takes action on policy statements that address national or international issues, proposed by CSSP committees;
- Designs and develops action-focused conferences and initiatives;
- Meets with representatives of the news media;
- Conducts regular business of the Council, including analyzing and implementing the results of CSSP task forces, committees, and national projects.